Manchego & Membrillo Stacks
This appetizer combines classic Spanish ingredients and flavors to create a well-rounded bite that is both sweet and savory. Eat these Manchego stacks on their own or top with gourmet Cantabrian anchovies.
- Manchego cheese: curado, semi-curado or tierno
- Gourmet Cantabrian anchovies (optional)
- Cut the Manchego and membrillo into thin, even, slices.
- Cut the slices into 1 inch squares.
- Stack the slices of Manchego and membrillo upon one another in alternating layers starting and finishing with Manchego. We recommend 3 layers of Manchego and 2 of membrillo.
- Secure each stack with a toothpick.
- Top all or some of the stacks with a gourmet Cantabrian anchovy wrapped around the toothpick.
The quantities of the ingredients in this recipe are not fixed as how much you will want to make depends on how many guests you have, what else you are serving and how much you expect your guests to eat. The average person can be expected to eat 2 or 3 stacks. This recipe is quick to prepare and any leftover ingredients can be easily kept in the refrigerator and used at a later time. We recommend buying more ingredients than you anticipate using and making only what you think you will need and then making more if the remaining Manchego stacks start running low while people still seem to be eating.