Ostpaj med Kantareller - Cheese Pie with Chanterelles
Ostpaj, or Swedish cheese pie, is easy to put together but makes for a rich and indulgent meal. In the fall, this version with chanterelle mushrooms is particularly popular. Depending on the cheese used, you might find this dish called Västerbottensostpaj or Västerbottenspaj which just means that the cheese used is Västerbottensost from northern Sweden.
- 9 tbl butter, softened to room temperature
- 1¼ cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2-3 tbsp cold water
- ½ lb chanterelle mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1¼ cup cream
- 1¼ cup västerbotten cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the flour and salt in a bowl
- Using your fingers, mix in the butter until combined into a crumbly dough.
- Add the water and mix until well incorporated, then press an even layer of dough into a well greased pie dish.
- Pierce the dough several times with a fork and set in the fridge to cool for aprox. 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, clean the mushrooms of debris with a small brush and set aside.
- Melt 1-2 tbls. of butter in a pan over med-high heat and fry the chanterelles until tender, browned and fragrant.
- Remove the chanterelles and add the onion to the pan, with more butter if necessary, and cook until soft.
- Remove the onion from the pan and mix together with the chanterelles, set aside.
- Cook the piecrust at 425 F for 10 min. or until lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs and then whisk in the cream until well mixed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the mushroom and onion to the pie crust and cover with grated cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture over everything.
- Cook in oven at 350 F for about 30 mins or until the mixture has set and the top of the pie has a nice golden color.
Swedish ostpaj can be made in a variety of ways. When chantarelles are not in season, you could substitute a different type of mushroom or exclude the mushrooms altogether. Another common variation is to make the pie without mushrooms and with deli ham instead. The traditional cheese to make this pie with is Västerbottensost. If you are unable to get Västerbottensost, you could substitute another Swedish cheese like prästost or a cheese like Gruyere, jack or cheddar depending on your taste.