Mozzarella in Carrozza - Golden Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Like the Italian version of grilled cheese, this sandwich gets an extra dose of richness from a creamy egg bath and is coated in breadcrumbs for extra crunch. Although commonly served as an appetizer or snack, enjoy mozzarella in carrozza with some fresh sliced tomatoes drizzled in balsamico and you're likely to feel satisfied without a main course.
- 8 slices of bread
- buffalo mozzarella
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup of milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- breadcrumbs (optional)
- olive oil (for frying)
- Begin by cutting the crust off of each piece of bread and slice diagonally into triangles.
- Cut the mozzarella into slices the same thickness as your bread and pat dry with a paper towel to absorb extra moisture.
- Meanwhile, heat ¼ inch of olive oil in a pan on the stove top.
- Beat the eggs and milk together in a shallow dish and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover a plate in a thin layer of flour, and another (if using) in a thin layer of bread crumbs.
- Place one layer of cheese between every two slices of bread and then coat all sides well with flour, including the edges.
- Pass the flour covered sandwiches through the egg mixture and finish with a coat of breadcrumbs (optional).
- At this point, the oil should be hot enough, but you can test it if you like with a piece of crust dipped in flour and egg mixture. Place two or three of the sandwich wedges into the pan at a time and cook each side until the sandwich reaches a uniform golden-brown color.
- Set on a paper towel to absorb any extra oil. Serve hot and enjoy!
This is a relatively simple recipe, although it can be tricky to keep your cheese neatly inside, so prepare carefully. If you feel like something a little more decadent, try adding prosciutto along with the mozzarella for an extra special snack.